Nov 13, 2012

#NaBloPoMo - Paranormal Activities

Happy Diwali y'all. Diwali is the Hindu festival of lights (and fireworks). As a Bengali however, we celebrate Diwali as Kali Puja and simply put, is a festival honoring the Hindu Goddess Kali and her victory over demons.

I'm not one for religion but I'm definitely one for festivals. Indian festivals are AMAZING. Also, I love many traditions, customs and beliefs associated with Indian festivals. Anyway, I digress.  The day before Kali Puja (i.e. yesterday) Bengali homes usually light 14 candles to ward off evil spirits. While it feels nothing like Diwali here in Aus, I did do the 14 candles thing because I am paranoid and me no likey demons or ghosts y' know?

Then last night, we heard something scurrying on the roof. It convinced me it was something out of the movie Paranormal Activity (y'know that shit but totes scary movie about a ghost/paranormal being harassing the people living in the house). Anyway, J reckons its a possum but I had paranormal activity ideas in my head. It was the day before Diwali after all. I had blown out the candles. My line of defence was gone. The demons were out in full force and they were coming for me.

In bed I thought about the scene where she gets dragged out of bed by her feet (oops, sorry spoiler) and I struggled to fall asleep. Then I looked up and there was a strange orange light on the ceiling. Scurrying noises + strange light? Of course it was perfectly rational to shake J and ask him to look at the ceiling and figure out what it was while I stressed about being the star of Paranormal Activity Part 3.

It was a reflection of a light from outside, apparently. I laughed and let J go back to sleep. But I had managed to scare the shit out of myself. So, I did what I always do when I'm scared the ghosts might see me - I hid my head under the blanket.

Whaaattt?

*This post is part of the November NaBloPoMo blogging challenge.

No comments: