Oct 20, 2012

Lessons in Happiness


I've been reading and thinking a lot about happiness lately. (I know, how incredibly hippie of me.)

I'll be honest; I have had some very dark days in the past few years. Days where getting out of bed seemed like more work than it was worth. Days where my body would physically ache from the effort of going to work. Days where eating an apple for dinner was hard work. Days where I smiled so hard just so people would assume I was normal and not ask me any questions.

Luckily, I have (mostly) gotten out of that. I am a happier person today than I was 2 years ago and consequentially, also a little bit more philosophical. Age has something do with it as well I suppose.

I have learnt:

·         Happiness is not a destination. I am not going to be happy after I have done this or achieved that. Happiness is every day, and it comes from living my life the way I want to.
·         So, to live the life I want I also need to follow my heart. Life gets in the way (a lot) but it is my life so amidst all the craziness and the inanity of the every day, I need to make my happiness a priority. Following my heart is not as difficult as it sounds.
·         Happiness is personal.  There is no point in going after what I think I'm supposed to do or want because everyone else does. I define my own happiness.
·         Inner peace isn't just a hippie notion. When you're happy, you're at peace. Finding that contentment has to come from within.
·         Change is intimidating but it's also invigorating. I have never regretted trying something new (even if it was a bad experience) so clearly I enjoy risks. I need to challenge myself more.
·         Keep learning. Yes, shiny, pretty, new things make me happy but learning something new, career challenges, inspiring words and intelligent conversations are the ultimate fuel for my soul.
·         Don't be so afraid of sharing, of opening up. I've found letting people in sometimes makes me realise I'm a much luckier, happier person than I know (This is something I am still struggling with but trying hard to get over)

My happiness is mine and I have to remember that.  

No comments: