Jul 9, 2011

Giving without money

In keeping with the tone of my last two posts, I’d just like to say there are millions of people across the world that need some help, in some form. Most people I know want to give a little back, help out someone who is less privileged and I know many, many people who regularly donate to a charity of their choice. Sadly, it’s impossible to donate to every charity, every cause that needs help. Sometimes, even with all the good intentions to help, you may not be in a financial position to make a donation. And that’s fine.

If you want to give but money isn’t an option, you can consider volunteering. Non-profit organisations are always looking for volunteers. Pick a cause and see what opportunities are available in your area.

Donations don’t always have to involve money. I do a wardrobe cleanout every six months or so and instead of just throwing my clothes out, I take them to the local Red Cross or Salvation Army store – because I know someone might need them. The same goes for household goods (in working condition) too.

If you are money and time poor, I’d like to share this article with you – 7 Easy Ways to Do Good Online Beyond Donations. It’s an online world and there are many, many ways you can “give” online. In addition to the resources shared in the article, I’d like to add the UN’s online volunteering website.

Oh and if you love words, Free Rice is an amazing way to do your bit. It’s a vocabulary game and for every answer you get right, you donate rice to feed some hungry mouths. Come on, you’ve gotta love that!

You may not be able to help everyone, but if you help one person, one cause – it makes a difference. Besides, it racks up a lot of good karma. Trust me. But more on that later.

*This post is part of the NaBloPoMo challenge for July 2011.

4 comments:

Kuntala said...

'Free rice' is addictive! Thank you so much for this post Radhika. 

Psych Babbler said...

Ooh I remember Free Rice...I think I did it a year or two ago and it was so addictive! It was the best way to donate. I do want to donate or give back in some way but as you said, it's not always possible financially [despite popular opinion, psychologists do not earn that much!] But I would love to donate my time or volunteer. Going to check out the UN link you left. 

R.Bit said...

it is addictive! glad ur enjoying it.

R.Bit said...

yep I love free rice! Hope you can find a volunteer opportunity that could use your skills. :)